For weeks now I can’t get enough of scones. I really am not happy if I don’t have a scone in the morning. Most mornings unfortunately I don’t have scones. I surely can’t afford the $4 per vegan scone price tag at Earthfare. Nor do I have time every day to run out and grab one! I finally let my cravings take over and decided to attempt my own batch of vegan scones. I was delighted with the outcome, and you will be too!
Vegan Pumpkin SconesCourse: Recipe
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup coconut butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425*
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice.
- Cut in coconut butter until well mixed
- Stir together pumpkin puree, sugar and vanilla. Add to the flour and butter mixture.
- Stir together all ingredients until well mixed (use your hands if necessary!)
- Turn dough onto a floured surface a kneed 3 or 4 times, adding more flour until dough is no longer sticky.
- Separate dough into two sections.
- Flatten each section into a disc approximately 8 inches across, 1 inch thick.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut each disc into 8 triangular pieces. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
I topped my pumpkin scones with leftover Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting I had hanging around. I highly recommend it! But frosted or not, these scones are wonderful!