I've had a fabulous time complaining about all my pregnancy symptoms for the last 8 months to anyone who would listen. But I would be amiss if I left out the few good things I have experienced with this pregnancy. I certainly have my share of grievances, but I will look back over this year of my life with a fondness for what I have experienced.
1. Radiant Skin. I know they always tell pregnant women they "glow" and for the most part I think they are lying, but it is certainly true that I have had the clearest skin ever during my pregnancy. I haven't had a single zit in the last 36 weeks and in many ways I do feel like I'm glowing (even if my face is a little puffier than usual!)
2. Intimacy in Marriage. And I'm not just talking about it in the sexual sense. No, I really feel like Alex and I have grown so much closer in the last year. There is just something about knowing you created this life together that brings a deeper love and connectedness.
3. Trying meat again. Seriously. I always wondered what would make me want to eat meat again, and pregnancy is the answer. I don't think I will continue to eat meat forever. I really don't enjoy it that much. But I really did like tasting all sorts of new flavors again.
4. My already growing relationship with Eleanor. Truthfully I am scared to death to be a mom. When I found out I was pregnant I was positively terrified. And when I found out it was going to be a girl, I was fully beside myself in fear. The anxiety would keep me up at night and I constantly worried about whether I could possibly be the best mother for this little girl. While the future is still so full of the unknown, I have really given this worry to God, asking Him to show me how to be a great mom. Ultimately, I know that if I can be the best version of me, it will be the best possible mom for my daughter. So instead of fearing the future, I use my energy to think of all the ways God has called me to be a great mother and so I shape my mind around what will happen, instead of what could happen. I know I will make mistakes as a mom, just as I make mistakes as a wife and a child of God. But through forgiveness and grace I will be the best mommy to my little girl! And I promise her that every single day.
5. The belly dances. I could complain all day long about her incessant kicks and punches, but the truth is, I wouldn't change it for the world. It is a constant reminder that she is there and with me all the time. Constant company! I miss her when I can't feel her!
Well it's no top 10 list (like the reasons I hate being pregnant) but it's a start in the way of positivity. I suppose the best part will be having Eleanor here and being a mom, but I wouldn't know that yet!
Happy 36 weeks! 4 more to go!