Sadly there are no photos of this delicious creation. And it is all gone. But I must share anyhow. And soon I will cook it up again, and be sure to take lots of fun photos. This is the sole photo with even a glimpse of this wonderful dish:
It’s the dish in the back. Oh wait, can you find it here too?
There’s one on that plate somewhere!
Vegan Stuffed ShellsCourse: Recipe
1 box pasta shells
1 container extra firm tofu, drained
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp Italian Seasoning
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 bunch broccoli
2 cups tomato sauce, your choice
- Prepare pasta shells according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, steam broccoli until tender.
- In food processor, finely chop walnuts. Add cooked broccoli and combine until finely chopped. Add drained tofu, lemon juice and seasoning. Add salt to taste. Combine ingredients until mixed but not completely smooth.
- Cover bottom of large casserole dish with tomato sauce (homemade or store bought). When pasta shells are cooked soft, drain from water and cool. Stuff each shell with 2 tbsp tofu mixture (resembles ricotta cheese) Place in casserole dish open side down. Continue to stuff each shell and place in dish until all shells are stuffed, or all tofu mixture is gone. (Or until you run out of space in casserole dish–I had to use two dishes).
- Layer more pasta sauce on top of shells and bake in 350* oven for 40 minutes.
- This recipe is reminiscent of stuffed shells my mom made when I was a kid, but so much healthier and with a nice flavor from the walnuts and broccoli. I served this to Toby the girl and didn’t tell her it was tofu. When she ate it she exclaimed she liked it and even continued to eat it after I told her it was tofu! Score!
Sorry for the terrible photos…but I assure you this dish is well worth it!