Sunday, January 16, 2011

Marathon Recap

I look too happy in the world did I muster a smile this morning?  This is me preparing Peanut Butter sandwiches for our whole group.

Surprisingly, this morning wasn't too difficult mentally.  We were up at 4am, I showered and dressed and prepared our food.  I also chugged some water!  We had to be on the bus by 5:15am and we packaged our food to go.  On the bus, I scarfed down my super-huge PB&B sandwich...I'm still not tired of my favorite combination.

The nerves came and went in flurries.  We had a lot of time to kill this morning, and we hung out near the port-a-johns to empty our tanks (several times) before the race.
Notice the tye-dye shirt above: that is my husband's that I donated to charity around mile 3.  I figure, if I run enough of these things I can slowly "donate" all of his tye-dye shirts.  (Just kidding Mr. Kummerow!)

Finally, it was time to line up.  I scooted in near the 5-hour pacers, despite my "estimated" time being 4:30.  My pace has changed quite a bit since I began training and registered, I heeded Coach Jenny's advice of starting slow.  Before I knew it we were off!

The miles began to tick one by one.  Coach Jenny also gave me some other great advice: to take it mile by mile.  "Eat the elephant one bite at a time."  Around mile 2 I had an awful pain in ankle.  I felt like my bones were crushing...and if I'm being honest with myself and you, the pain never subsided. 

I walked through every water stop for the first half, and ran every other inch of the 13 miles.  I felt great (other than the ankle).  I was getting angrier by the mile that my ankle hurt so terribly when the rest of me felt so great!  But I was determined to finish this thing, no matter what it took.

I walked a little slower through the water stop after mile 13  but continued to push through.  Thirteen through 20 is somewhat of a blur.  I walked through every water stop, and a little after each one, but I felt strong right through 20!  (Strong in a very altered sense of the word).  I really think 15 through 20 was my most difficult.  I just wanted to get to 20.  My goal was to get to 20 and then I didn't care how the last 6 miles were accomplished: running, walking, hobbling!

I caught a slight runner's high at 20 and pushed right through, ran through a water stop and halted at 21 for a quick walk break.  By mile 22 I was at it again and ran to the next water stop and then walked until the 23. 

At 23 I made a game 1, walk 1, run 1.  I knew that I would miss the 5 hour mark by a long shot, and I had already come to terms with it, I just wanted to finish.  23 through 24 scooted right by and ran until 24.5.  I stopped for water walked half a mile, and then ushered all the will-power in my heart and finished the last 1.2 miles at a 10-minute pace, with a strong finish. 

All of a sudden, I was across the finish line, and I burst into tears.  I felt so proud and accomplished.  My ankle hurt like a curse word I don't want to type (but that did sneak out of my mouth a few times).  It boggles my mind how I managed to run the full thing with such pain.  But mind over body...and I believe anyone can achieve anything.

I forgot to tell you about fueling.  At mile 6, 13,  and 18 I took a Hammer Gel.  I had a few cups of Cytomax (garorade-esqe drink) but only 2 or 3.  And I drank 1 cup of water at each stop (about every mile) through the first half.  After the first half I drank two cups of water at each water stop.

So that's the recap.  I'm done, I'm finished, I'm accomplished and proud.  And I never want to do it again!  Check that off the bucket list! 

I'm sorry, did I mention my best friend Melisa ran the whole thing with me!?  This is her 4th marathon and I could not have done it without her.  She is a rockstar and I am so grateful for the support and motivation.  I have told her how thankful I am, but I'm not sure she will ever really know! 
Not only did she run with me today, but she has also been trying to take care of me all day!  I love this girl!
(I love the bus too!)  Right at the finish, drove us straight to our hotel!)

So after Melisa and I finished, we waited for our good friends Jennifer and Theresa to finish (Lindsay had already finished her half marathon with a PR-shaving 10 minutes off her time!

They finished strong and I was so proud of them!  Of all of us!

We boarded the bus and on the way back.  Between finishing and getting on the bus, I drank 2 waters, a  mini Larabar, and an orange.  On the bus I chugged more water and returning to the hotel I have had a coconut water (love it!) and a banana! 
The five of us smiling back at the hotel (minutes before we took advantage of the hot tub!)

Now I am showered, and starving and ready to go to dinner!

Thank you so much for following me while I trained and for the unending support and encouragement that you bring me through this blog!  It means so very much to me! 

26.2 miles: done!


  1. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! Congratulations Tanya! We both became marathoners this weekend! I knew we would! Let's get together soon to toast our accomplishment! I hope you're not as sore as I am today tomorrow!

  2. Great job Tanya! You should be so proud of yourself. Finishing a marathon is such a big accomplishment. I hope you're living it up right now on that marathon high. :)

  3. I have never been prouder of anyone/anything in my life. I love you.