Well speaking of pumpkin...it has finally made its way back into my life.
While we are talking about nicknames, I should give you the full run down of my name. You may know, my full name is Tanya Kay Kummerow. But if you want to ask my dad, the full name he gave me is Tanya Kay Emde Pumpkin Kritter K. I go by P.K. for short.
Of course my Halloween costume from the time I was 4 until I was too tall to appropriately fit into anymore was a giant pumpkin suit my mom fashioned. It was my favorite and I would wear it year round just because.
But enough embarrassing childhood tales, pumpkin made a big appearance this week, meddling its way into every single one of my recipes yesterday.
There were Pumpkin Spice Bars.
And Pumpkin Black Bean Burgers.
I recreated my Pumpkin Chip Micro Muffin.
But the main pumpkin events were this Pumpkin Smoothie.
And this amazing Pumpkin Bread!
Sip on this for your pumpkin pie fix! This smoothie combines the flavors cinnamon, nutmeg and clove with the creaminess of pumpkin puree, banana and almond milk to deliver a healthy, yet rich and delicious treat! I couldn't help it, I drank one for breakfast and lunch yesterday!
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 banana
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie spice
- ~1 1/2 cups ice cubes
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
- Combine all ingredients except ice in blender and let it whir. When well mixed, add in ice and blend until your smoothie is thick and ready!
- Garnish with an additional sprinkle of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice and a cinnamon stick.
makes one 1.5 lb loaf
Add pumpkin to anything and it will make it light and fluffy. This bread is no exception; the flavor profile is wonderful, and the texture is airy and soft. This recipe utilizes a bread maker. I apologize, but I have no alternative methods. If you don't have a bread maker, I highly recommend one! We make all of our own bread now. You can even find them really cheap at Goodwill!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: ~3 hours
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- In bread maker, add water, pumpkin puree, honey and molasses.
- Next add flours, salt, and vital wheat gluten, adding the yeast last.
- Set your bread maker for a 1.5 lb loaf and medium crust setting. Hit start!
And don't forget to enter to win an entry into the Ramblin' Rose Women's Half Marathon! Two more days to enter!